This website uses 'cookies' to give you the best, most relevant experience. By continuing to use this website you acknowledge and agree to our use of cookies. Find out more.

OK >

If you have a question that’s not listed here, just ask us.

Frequently Asked Questions:

The amount of tax you need to pay varies depending on your personal circumstances. If your situation has matched any of the following scenarios in the last four tax years, it's likely you’ve overpaid tax and are owed a tax refund:

  • you started a job part way through a tax year
  • you stopped a job part way through a tax year
  • you weren’t employed for part of a tax year
  • you incurred expenses as part of your employment that are allowable against your income
  • you were on an emergency tax code for part of a tax year

Our friendly team are tax refund experts, and we'll use all of the information you provide us, along with the information we receive from HMRC, to calculate if you're owed a tax refund from the last four tax years.

It's estimated that 1 in 3 people who pay tax in the UK are owed a tax refund, with an average refund of over £420!

That being said, it's important to bear in mind that everyone's tax refund is different, because the amount of tax you pay depends on a variety of personal factors and your individual situation.

Use our easy application form for an estimation of what you could be owed from HMRC today!

We transfer your tax refund from our separate client account directly into the bank account you provide to us when you apply. Bank transfers are our preferred payment method because it's the fastest, most secure way of paying you your refund.

In order to pay you by bank transfer:

  • You acknowledge that bank transfers can take up to three business days to process, depending on your bank. This does not include any coinciding bank holidays.
  • You acknowledge that, if you have changed your name for any reason (i.e. marriage) you will need to speak with one of our tax refund experts to make sure everything is updated appropriately, and your details are correct both here and at HMRC.

If you don't have a bank account, we will not be able to pay you your refund. Please ensure you have a UK bank account to avoid any issues.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

Usually, yes. However, the rules and criteria are complex. You are generally entitled to claim for things that you must buy for your job, or in some cases work-related travel costs. The key is that you can only claim for things that are solely used for your work and that your employer hasn't reimbursed you separately for such costs.

Expenses that you may be able to claim for include:

  • Temporary Workplace expenses - travel (public or personal), accommodation, tolls and parking fees, food and drink, or business phone calls or faxes.
  • Uniforms and specialist clothing required for work - cleaning, repairing, or replacing.
  • Tools which you require for your employment - buying, repairing, or replacing.
  • Professional fees and subscriptions to some approved professional organisations - but only if you must have membership to do your job, or if it's helpful to your work e.g. British Medical Council.

If you've spent money on something when your employer has already provided you with an alternative, you can’t claim this expense.

You must keep records of what you've spent, and claim within 4 years of the end of the tax year that you spent the money.

It's quite likely! Different sets of business mileage allowances apply for cars and vans, motorcycles,and bicycles. If your employer has paid you less than the full 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles,and 25p per mile thereafter for using your car or van, then it's likely you can claim the difference.

If you have cycled to meetings and your employer does not reimburse that you could also claim an allowance for this (20p per mile).

You will need to have records to show the journeys made and any claims that you made against your employer if they have reimbursed below the rates quoted.

When you apply for your tax refund with us, we're able to calculate if you have a tax refund waiting for you, or if you owe tax to HMRC.

If we do calculate that you do owe tax for a tax year, we will not proceed with processing a tax refund claim for that year. We offer a 'no refund, no fee' policy, so you won't be charged a penny for this service.

As part of the refund process, if you have previously filed a tax return with HMRC and you owe them money, you will still have to pay this.

We can help you apply for an extended time to repay your debt or, if you meet the criteria, HMRC may write the debt off. We can help you with this application for no additional fee. Speak with one of our friendly tax refund experts today to see how we can help you.

Everyone has different personal situations and circumstances; some people may have more than one job, use their own vehicle to travel for work, or only work for part of a tax year.

These different circumstances affect how much tax we each have to pay and may well mean that, while you and your colleague have a similar job, you are not both entitled to a tax refund.

It is possible, but only if you've claimed too much.

Here at, our team of tax refund specialists are experts in this field. You can be sure that we will thoroughly assess your claim, using the information you provide us, to accurately calculate how much tax you've overpaid before submitting your claim to HMRC.

When you submit details about yourself to us, your information is stored securely in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. We are committed to securely protecting all information that relates to you and will only share it with HMRC or any third party once we have your permission to do so in accordance with our Privacy Policy and Terms and Conditions, which describe the way we store and use your data.

If your personal details or situation changes, it's important that you let us know as soon as possible. This way, we can continue to keep you up to date on the status of your tax refund, and also ensure your refund money and any correspondence from us and HMRC doesn't end up in the wrong place.

To update your personal details, log into your WooHoo Account and edit your information, or contact us.

Once you've completed your online application, we'll keep you up to date with how your tax refund is progressing each step of the way. We'll send you an email when your application reaches a new step.

You can also see what stage your tax refund application is at online, by logging into your WooHoo Account on our website. While you're there, you can also update your personal information.

If you're unsure about anything, or you have any questions that aren't answered by logging into your WooHoo Account, our team of friendly tax experts are standing by to help! You can contact us by phoning 0800 074 0101, or by sending us a message, or by emailing us at

Your National Insurance (NI) number is unique to you, and makes sure your National Insurance contributions and tax recorded against your name only. It's made up of a unique combination of letters and numbers, and never changes.

You'll find your National Insurance number on your:

  • payslips
  • P60
  • tax returns

If you've lost your NI number, or you don't have one, speak to your Payroll team at work or contact JobCentre Plus.

If you're ready for your WooHoo moment, and you choose to use our service, we'll simply become your new tax agent. Once you sign up with us, we will become 'linked' to you as your tax agent, which will override the previous tax agent. Easy! However sometimes HMRC may want you to tell them you have chosen a new agent. We will let you know if that happens!

A P60 is a PAYE form. It shows how much tax you've paid on your wages/salary in the tax year, and you'll receive one from your employer at the end of every tax year.

If you're working for your employer on April 5th, they must give you a P60, and it must be provided to you by 31st May, on paper or electronically.

A P45 is a PAYE form. You’ll receive a P45 from your employer when you stop working for them. It shows how much tax you have paid from your wages/salary so far in the tax year.

A P45 has four parts; Part 1, Part 1A, Part 2, and Part 3.

  • Your employer sends Part 1 to HMRC, and gives the remaining parts to you.
  • Part 1A is for you to keep for your records
  • Part 2 and Part 3 are for you to give to your new employer (or to JobCentre Plus if you’re not working)

Your employer is legally required to give you a P45 when you stop working for them. If they haven’t given you one, ask them to.

A 64-8 form is what gives us your permission to talk to HMRC and communicate with them on your behalf, as your tax agent.

HMRC stands for 'Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs', and is the department of the UK Government responsible for, among other things, the collection of taxes.

PAYE stands for 'Pay As You Earn', and is the tax system that most employees will be taxed under. Under PAYE, your employer deducts tax and National Insurance from your wages or salary before paying you, so that you don't have to file a tax return yourself.

It stands for Anti Money Laundering. We are registered under the UK’s Money Laundering Regulations (no. 12897567). The legislation requires us to check your identity and keep evidence that we have done so. We may ask you to send us photographic ID and two proofs of address so that we can provide the Services which this legislation applies to.

View the terms and conditions for using our services and for your tax refund.

A 'tax year' is an annual accounting period for keeping records and reporting income and expenses. Here in the UK, the tax year starts on April 6th every year, and runs until April 5th the following year.

Yes! Anyone can talk to HMRC about their own tax affairs. However, as a WooHoo customer, we can help you with your tax affairs and any questions you may have and deal with HMRC on your behalf. No more waiting on hold with HMRC for you! WooHoo!

In the UK, we're entitled to claim a tax refund from any of the previous 4 tax years.

  • 2012-13 tax year ended on 05/04/2013 and must be claimed by 05/04/2017
  • 2013-14 tax year ended on 05/04/2014 and must be claimed by 05/04/2018
  • 2014-15 tax year ended on 05/04/2015 and must be claimed by 05/04/2019
  • 2015-16 tax year ended on 05/04/2016 and must be claimed by 05/04/2020

The average UK tax refund is £420!

Ready to see if you are due a refund